March 10, 2007

to amy, spring 06

i am playing hooky today, staying at home in brookyn,
listening to the rain in the backyard,
the cars sizzling by on the street,
reading and watching movies.
i might muster up the motivation to step out for some coffee and breakfast in a bit,
but it is all already so perfect,
i am not sure that i need to do anything until i work tonight...
quiet days at home are few and far between,
they always ring of nostalgia,
of sometime when i was 4 feet tall,
drops on a window pane,
my forehead pressed against the coldglass,
daydreaming of sunny days when i might go outside and play,
cool grey-lit grass in the yard bent through the levitating water...
and too the days when i would go out anyhow,
splashing in the puddles of murky sidewalk water,
sifting out the earthworms as rivulets of water
streamed off the back of my head and off the tip of my nose,
every drop sending concentric, circle waves across the mirrored surface,
sky's reflection bending,
ripples intertwining with one another in the ordered chaos of sublime geometry,
life in its unpredictable perfection.
i wonder which boy i really was,
which boy i am now,
and who i will remember on rainy days twenty years from this day,
with my mind reeling into the future,
rooted in the ten million past moments that are my life,
and might be me.
what memories am i writing for my next nostalgic, dead day?
would that there will be a few just like today,
kill the lights,
i am lounging in my cloudlit room.
between the green lights on washington avenue,
there are moments of silence,
i could be anywhere,
my grandparent's in denver,
my warehouse in sandiego,
i am everywhere at once,
i am everyone i have ever been,
and we might even peel our heads
off of the pillow and search of luminous liquid mirrors,
forgetting even the possibility of being cold for wantof undescribed life,
soaked and in love just like i am right now...
i hope your work finds a moment to go outside and stand in the rain;
part of me suspectsthat this is one of the most important jobs we ever have to do.